Friday, November 12, 2010

Landed in the extraterrestial city




The view from my hotel room
Inside the hotel
Lovely steamed prawn dumplings
Raffles Hotel
Singapore Gin Sling
View from my hotel room just after sunset
Bay Sands with Sky Park (and Ku De Ta) on the top
Having a drink 200 meter up

At six this morning (local time, 23 CET) I landed in Singapore. I tried to do the best out of the day, considering I missed two nights of sleep in a row. The jet lag does help to create that other-wordly feeling, but so does Singapore itself. The architecture is breath-taking, sometimes unbelievable.

But I started with food, some great steamed prawn dumplings at the Lau Pat Sa food court. Topped with the obligatory Singapore Gin Sling Cocktail at Raffles Hotel and life felt somewhat brighter.
But come night time and the real science fiction show begins. Just outside my hotel balcony. It's hard to describe so you just have to trust the photos.

In the evening I ended up partying at Ku De Ta, the club, bar and restaurant at Sky Park. The latter feels like something directly copied from The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy - an utterly insane, and enormous, outdoor platform 200 meter over the sea, on the 57th floor, stretching 340 meters in length over three sky scrapers. It is almost beyond comprehension, even when you are there.

No comments: