Saturday, November 27, 2010

Beer and art in sunny Perth

Lunchtime today I arrived to a very sunny Perth. I will stay in the region until 1 December, visiting local traveller friends Liz and Justin. Justin even picked me up at the airport despite having a busy day at his architect office. Aussies are friendly!

He let me off at Lucky Shag Bar. I suppose that is a good omen. Anyway, it is a nice riverside pub with some good local beer. I had a Little Creatures Pale Ale as a landing beer, then headed downtown. Ended up at a beautiful sculpture exhibition at Western Australia Museum (see photo). My favourites were a colorful wooden dog, two stingrays in bronze, silver and mother of pearl and a really cool little animal made out of kelp (sea weed). A huge crocodile with man in painted wood also caught my imagination.

In the evening Liz took me out for a great evening. We started at a vernissage at the University of Architecture where her sister had an exhibition. Lots of  interesting people and cool drinks - nice combo.
Then we continued to a friend of hers that had a engagement party. They are both Bahai and one of them is half Srilankese, so it was all very colorful.

No comments: