Saturday, November 17, 2007

Paragliding in the Galilees

Camels grazing in the Jordan Valley

Early this morning, my Swedish friend Anders Ohlsson, a.k.a. Bonen, rang my doorbell. He is staying for a week, which is going to be great fun.
We packed the car and drove over the mountains, down to the Jordan valley, and then north all the way to the Golan height. On the way, we saw a big group of camels grazing in the desert.
At the Golan Heights, we enjoyed the view over the Sea of Galilee, then called Ori to see where it was possible to go paragliding. It turned out that the best spot for today was Sharona, a small village south east of Tiberias.

Anders at the view point (and paragliding take off) called
Mevo Hama, on the Southern Golan Heights.


When we came there, the sun was shining, it was maybe 25 degrees warm, and the wind was right. I readied my paraglider and took off for a lovely little flight, quickly soaring more than 100 meters over the starting place. After little more than ten minutes, I went down again and landed next to Anders, so didn’t have to hang around be bored. Anders is a paraglider too, but it was a long time ago since he did a proper flight.
So I borrowed him my equipment and helped him launch. I think he enjoyed it.
You will find more photos from the flying on my web page.

Marko getting ready for launch at Sharona.


Anders flying at Sharona


In the afternoon, we met up with the girls – Femke, Anna, Magdalena and Ruby – and had lunch. Then Anders and me went up the Golans again, this time a bit moiré up north. In the evening, we had a lovely dinner and lots of wine at the B&B.

No comments: