Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Discovering the VII district

Today I had a guide booked all day to show me around in the VII district of Budapest. Formerly a shabby and dangerous area, part of the old Jewish neigbourhood, it has now transformed into a trendy and up-and-coming part of town. Sure, many houses haven't been renovated since World War II, but that is slowly changing and also part of the charm. Old family-run shops still abounds but new cool bars are popping up in between.

Funny enough, my Hungarian guide András spoke rather good Swedish after having studied the language and also spent some time in Sweden. Halfway through the day we discovered that he is also hooked onr paragliding! So the rest of the day and evening the topic of conversation was given.

We had an excellent lunch at Café Kör (I had a Hungarian cabbage dish, like lasagna without pasta, or maybe moussaka without aubergine).  Then dinner at Restaurant Menza where I devoured an excellent leg of goose.

No comments: