Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Dutch emigrants and cute cows


The last few days I have had the pleasure of visiting my Mother in Tyringe, Sweden. While here, I also visited a Dutch family for a story. It’s the result of a funny coincidence – when Femke and me were out biking in Friesland in Northern Netherlands for another story we stopped at a farmer’s cheese shop. It turned out that it was run by the family Hogendoorn, who were surprised to hear that I am Swedish – they had just sold there Dutch farm and were moving to a new farm in Sweden within weeks.

Today, I visited the Hogendoorns at their new farm in North-eastern Skåne. After three months in Sweden, they are slowly settling in. From having 80 cows, cheese manufacturing and a cheese shop, they have now shifted gears to having 220 cows. My visit will result in a story for the Swedish magazine Allas veckotidning.

You will find the photos from my visit at the Hogendoorns here.

2 comments:

henry said...

I have been dying to take pictures like that of the cow. Could you please tell me what lens you used? It can't be a fisheye since the shot is not distorted.
Share the secret please.

Henry

Marko said...

Cows are cute aren't they? In their own bovine way.
I thnk I used a 12-24 mm/F4 Nikon lens for this shot. It is one of my favourite lenses, giving you the option to go really close and still get some of the environment.