Friday, January 16, 2009

Houseboats and more





Yesterday night, we stayed over in a houseboat. I am writing a story about houseboats right now, so I have to try a few out. This one was rather simple, but still cosy. While I was having a glass of wine in the living room, the ducks quacked away just outside the window.

Tonight we are staying at another houseboat, this time a real boat that has been rebuilt and renovated (the first one was more a floating house). And what a beauty it is! To make it even better, it is moored in one of my favourite parts of Amsterdam, at the Entrepotdok.

At lunch, I biked downtown to check out a sandwich bar I heard about from a friend. Broodje Bert turned out to be a real gem, a little corner place run by a Turkish family for nine years. They serve delicious hot and cold sandwiches, fried eggs and omelettes, and the prices are very reasonable.

Around the corner I discovered a very well stocked beer shop, the Cracked kettle. Jeff from Boston ended up staying a lot longer in Amsterdam than originally planned, and now owns and runs this enthusiast beer shop, full of excellent Belgian, Dutch and American beer (and quite a few other ones too).
I couldn’t help but buying a bottle from Netherlands maybe best brewery, Brouwerij De Molen.

No comments: