Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Paragliding in Austrian tirol + Vienna and Innsbruck

Wow, this has been such a wonderful weekend. Wait, let my rephrase that to a looong weekend.
Tuesday last week, I decided to go to Austria to attend the paragliding festival Stubai Cup in Neustift, Austrian Tyrol. I took a flight early morning Wednesday, and spent a few hours in Vienna on one of my favorite cafés there, the Kafee Alt Wien (Bäckerstrasse 9). Then I continued to Innsbruck and took a bus to Neustift in Stubaital.

Suddenly, from being in an angry and aggressive Middle Eastern desert country, I was in a peaceful and immensely beautiful alpine valley, with high, snow-covered peaks framing small wooden houses and cute cows. It is in moments like this I realize how tough it is to live in Israel. Here, my only problem was to choose what to eat and drink (from affordable and tempting menus, no weird kosher rules here) and what glider to try out for the next flight. What a difference.

The Stubai Cup is a yearly paragliding festival, where almost all of the manufacturers of paragliding equipment come together to show their new stuff. Even better, it is almost always available for test flying!
I enjoyed 13 flights with nine different gliders. In the end, I decided to order a new one for myself, the Nova Mentor. This I did at the Nova headquarters in Innsbruck. And while being in Innsbruck, I sniffed out a nice Micro Brewery where they also serve typical Austrian food. Great!

You will find a lot of my photos from the paragliding festival here.

Tuesday, I was heading home again, stopping in Vienna for some more cafés. This time, I ended up in the Italian Ice cream parlor/café/restaurant Fratelli (corner Schwedenplatz/Rotenturmstrasse and in the very cozy and small Kleines Café (Franziskanerplatz 3). Do try them out if you happen to end up in Vienna.


One of my favorite cafés in Vienna.

Flying high over Stubaital.

Test-flying the Nova Mentor.
This is the wing I ordered :-)


Theresienbrauerei in Innsbruck.


Fratelli in Vienna.


Mmm. Nice cake at Fratelli.


Inside Kleines Café in Vienna.

No comments: