Saturday, October 11, 2008

Glorious Vienna!




¨











Our last day in Tansylvania was used for recouperation and relaxation. We did some walking and lots of reading, and I worked a bit with my photos. In the evening, we boarded a one hour delayed but surprisingly comfortable night train to Vienna. Although it doesn’t help with comfortable beds when you are woken twice by border police, at 03:00 and 03:30.

Arriving in Vienna at ten in the morning, we took a pit-stop in one of the simple and retro-chic Aida-cafés scattered around the city. It felt like their Mozart tarte was the right way to start a day in Vienna.
Checking in at the Rathaus Wein & Design is always a pleasure, especially when you are invited to their opulent breakfast buffé. We just had to eat a little bit more. The room was also a delight, although we did not have much time to enjoy it.

Instead we headed for the Gustav Klimt-exhibition at the Belvedere. A must in Vienna for me. I am especially fond of his paintings with women, they seem to vibrate with lust in a very sensual way.
Afterwards, we found our way to another one of my Vienna favourites, Café Alt Wien on Bäckerstrasse, where a beer and a sausage provided new energy.

It feels like Vienna changed a lot the last few years, to the better. Nowadays, their focus on wine and design is paying off, with more and more cool design shops and even cooler wine bars opening up. We ended up at one of the latter, Unger & Klein, where we tasted a number of good local wines, some of them very good. My favourite (and I think Anders’ as well) was a typical white wine from Vienna, a mix of different grapes from different estates, produced by Krist.

A slight hunger reminded us that we had a date with Vienna’s biggest schnitzels, at the classic restaurant Figlmüller. I was impressed when Anders almost all of his cyclopic wiener-schnitzel, save for a microscopic triangle. Even I couldn’t achieve that.

The evening proceeded at another wine bar, the very buzzy and popular Wine & Co, close to St Stephansplatz. Austria has come a long way with their white wine, and I hope I can go back one day for a visit dedicated to their grape products.

No comments: